Thursday, February 01, 2007

Dear Cary

I like Salon.com a lot. I particularly like the advice columnist, who
handles questions of a deeper nature than your typical Dear Abby.
Today's happens to focus on MFA programs and writing, so I thought I'd
link to it.

My favorite lines:

...writing is not about face. It is about soul. It is a tool for becoming who you are.

...take care of your writing as you would take care of an animal or a child. Do not send it out into the world to do an adult's job. Just take care of it and, in its own way, it will take care of you.


The letter also reminded me how lucky I am to be in an MFA program I love, one where there is little to no competitiveness amongst students and one where we support each other. Go Lesley. Best Blogger Tips

2 comments:

TI said...

Thanks for that link. It is very encouraging. I feel extremely shitty about my writing right now and for the very first time had a fleeting (very fleeting) thought last weekend of quitting the MFA. Good timing.

January said...

Good advice.

Is it me or is blogger being a pain today. Haven't been able to comment on any blogger blogs today.