Monday, October 15, 2007

How're things in writer land?

It's a question Poet Mom asked on her blog, and one that I thought I'd answer on mine.

I'm at work on a new story, and for some reason first drafts are so much less painful for me than revising (which is what I did for my last MFA submission). I think it's because I've finally got it in my head that first drafts are shitty, that I'm allowed to make mistakes in them, that a lot of the work is done in just allowing yourself to write poorly.

So now I think that first drafts are fun. Second or third drafts though? That's when my Evil Editor sits on my shoulder second guessing every change I make, reminding me that even at the end of this draft the story will be no where near done, asking me why I'm doing this anyway?

Hopefully with time, that Evil Editor will shush down and allow me to revise in peace, knowing that even second drafts are allowed to be shitty, that I'm allowed to make mistakes in them, that a lot of the work is done in just allowing yourself to write poorly.

So that's how things are going in my Writer Land. How about you?? Best Blogger Tips

5 comments:

DJPare said...

First drafts are much more fun. Revisions are more of a chore for me. The first draft feels like the original idea coming out, where the story moves from my head to the paper and gets fleshed out, not fine-tuned (that's the next drafts)

Writer Bug said...

Well said, Don. I found myself nodding my head as I read your comment!

January said...

Things are looking up. I have a lead for freelance work, an article coming out in a lit journal, and some really cool projects on the horizon. So I'm slightly more optimistic that I was a week ago. Who knows where I'll be next week.

Writer Bug said...

Go January! You are doing such great things!

TI said...

I'm gearing up to write shitty first draft. I agree they're fun. Last month I even turned one in as my submission and the feedback wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it might be.